04 May 2007

TBD

I've run out of ideas for titles. At least titles that reflect the crazy, rested, happy mood I'm in. So TBD works. For kicks, I thought I'd cruise the web. I've hit a couple blogs and my favorite writing sites, with one exception. It's been a good night. Dinner was sour Skittles washed down with Diet Coke. Not for my kids, of course! So much for my diet though. For a control freak, my leniency with myself is beyond belief. I really ought to do something about that. Anyway, as I perused some good sites, I came across my favorite writer's conference, La Jolla Writers Conference.

Okay, that makes it sound like it was by sheer happenstance that I entered the website. Not quite true, I'm afraid. I went there with a purpose. I wanted to see who was attending this year and perhaps jinn up some courage to have a private read. I'm still working on the courage part, but I learned the coolest thing. They have a special rate this year for dynamic duos. This is already one of the most affordable conferences available to authors across genre spectra, but the new discount makes it difficult to pass up. By then, I'll have time to take from work and my short day is Friday anyway, so I wouldn't lose much. I know the airport and love La Jolla. Do you see how I'm having a difficult time telling myself no? Anyway, if you're curious about LJWC, please check out the link to the right. This year, I wanted to go to RWA's conference, but there was no way to swing it with the move. I've told myself to be content with the pictures and the workshop recordings, which are fabulous by the way.

So because I can't come up with anything savvy to say, happy Friday all!!!

5 comments:

Chris Peters said...

I love LaJolla - I assume you mean California. I lived in San Diego for 10 years, so hung out there quite a bit.

I've had to "just say no" to conferences this year, but plan to partake next year with any luck (and money).

Have a great weekend! :)

Elayne said...

Yep, Ellen, LaJolla, California. One of the most beautiful places I've had the pleasure of seeing. I understand the conference hiatus. That's the same place I'm in, yet I keep trying to think of ways to wrangle myself into one. Hearing all the gear-up for the RWA one coming up is killing me! With jealousy, of course. I'm trying to calm myself by reminding myself that few, if any, manuscripts get published out of those editor/agent meetings. Since my goal is publication, I hope these constant reminders work. There's just so much good energy at the writers conferences for the most part.

It will be a real pleasure to know that I'm in good company at home. We will have to make sure to do something for those of us who are left behind this time around. You're planning on San Fran, right? I LOVE San Francisco, so I'm making plans to save my pennies so I can attend. I still want to keep hope alive for LaJolla because it is such an amazing opportunity, but I won't leave my family staving because I'm trying to hobnob with a writing crowd. :sigh: Sometimes being a grownup stinks...

Chris Peters said...

I definitely plan to be at the San Francisco conference! I love the city too.

Really, if I had the money, I'd even try for LaJolla since it is a gorgeous place, and we have a lot of family and friends who live in San Diego. We haven't been down in awhile, darnit - the last time I went was to be with my aunt who was dying, so I didn't get a chance to visit with anyone.

I think you're right - unless there's a major opportunity to get your work in front of an agent or editor, it's more informational (with the workshops) and social (that part IS fun). But, it's not the end of the world to miss them. AND, we definitely will have our own party at the boards while they're gone! :)

Julie Kibler said...

What happens in San Francisco?

Now this stinks--I LIVE in DFW and can't afford to go to RWA. I'm not a member, and it would cost me a small fortune to join and pay that conference fee. I don't write romance, really, so that's not a huge deal, but I've taken two classes this year online with Barbara Samuel, and she's arranging a meetup for the class alumni. I'll at least get to go to that, but it's disappointing to know they'll all be across town going to workshops and stuff while I'm sweating in Arlington. :-)

BUT...you keep crossing your fingers for LJWC!!! I had a R&C with Laura Rennert last year and it was scary, but fun and informative. I felt like if had ever revised my middle grade manuscript, I probably could have submitted to her. Who knows how it would have turned out. I think because they meet with so few people overall at LJWC, you probably have a better chance than at some of the others if your stuff's good and what they're looking for.

I'm looking forward to hearing Patti Callahan Henry this year. Won't sign up for R&C unless I get my buns in higher gear soon on what I'm writing now.

Elayne said...

Julie, next year RWA's national convention is in San Francisco. I feel for you--being so close to the conference in Dallas--yet unable to go. There are principles that span genres, such as writing a strong query, hooking your reader, research. But I'm sure it is very romance-centric, which would end up making some of it a waste of time for a writer outside that particular genre.

Get your rear in gear! I want to see your work published. I think you're absolutely right about LJWC. There is a real intimacy about everything there, and I loved that they had events geared for us night owls. I felt as though I got to know everyone so much better. I think I've given up hope on the RWA conference this year. Short of winning the Lotto, I don't know that I'll be able to swing it. And since I don't play the Lotto, my chances are more than slim :) If anything, I'll slide into the LJWC on a last minute rate. There are a couple in the Denver area I want to try out too. Gosh, so many choices!

If/when I attend RWA Nationals, I am going to treat it as a social thing. A get-together for like-minded folks. I've read all the frenzy from people trying to get into agent and editor pitch sessions. And I've read the stats as far as how those sessions convert into contracts. I'd rather spend my time engaging in conversation than going through a gut-twisting eight minutes that will leave me sick and empty-handed. I'm not being dismal, just real.