30 May 2007

A slice of silence anyone?

We have two ears and one mouth, in most cases. Yet how much do we actually use those features in proportion? I know I'm guilty of disproportionate use. My success at work is dependant upon my ability to hear what my customers say as well as what they don't say so I can give them the best options. I'm a talker by nature. Just ask anyone who's had the pleasure of reading one of my rough drafts! My trainer summed it up perfectly. "Elayne, you love words, but you talk so fast! Make sure your words mean something!" Talk about being put in my place.

My goal this week is to shut up. To make my words count. Sure, I heard it at work, but what's funny is that all of the principles I'm learning at work translate to my writing. See above comment. I do love words. Maybe because I've spent my whole life trying to prove my worth, I depend on words too much. Silence is equally impactful.

Tomorrow I'm going to be quiet. I'll probably bust wanting to say the unnecessary, but my goal is to let people tell me their story. Just like my characters want to tell their story. How much have I gotten in the way of my success? Can I pause for a beat and let people, be they real or fiction, speak to me? Only time will tell.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Hey, I'm in total sympathy with you. I have a hard time shutting up and just "listening." The problem is, when I do practice the power of silence, it seems like nobody talks. Then there's an awkward silence. I HATE awkward silences. LOL. But you're right - we can learn a lot if we just listen. :)

Elayne said...

So far, shutting up is killing me!!! But, and it's a big but, people have spoken more around me. What's funny is I'm quiet when I'm home. My kids talk, my husband talks, and I listen. It's just with other people that I seem to do the all-about-me thing. When I ask if people feel blitzed after meeting me, they always say no. Methinks they're all being polite :)

See, I'm rambling again! One day, I'll find the balance. Until then, people will have to put up with me.

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you. Either I'm completely shut down or I'm a total chatty Cathy. I love hearing you, though. Never shut up.