01 May 2007

Still Kickin'

Can you believe it's already May? Gosh, summer is literally around the corner and I barely remember winter. Okay, maybe I won't go that far. Winter seemed to last a long, long time. But time has flown. The new job is absolutely fantastic. I get to impact people's lives daily in a positive way. I go to bed exhausted at night, which is why I've been the amazing disappearing woman as of late. The plus side is that I've been writing. Yes, I've still got about three chapters left to write, but I'm paring down the page count. I'm heading into one of the final action scenes, and I think I may get to write another wedding. Who knows? The characters are keeping mum.

When I'm not working or writing, I spend my spare time unpacking boxes. You know, one never knows how much stuff one's managed to accumulate until the unpacking begins. Dude! I swear, my California is leaking. The good news is my kitchen is totally organized, the kids' rooms are finished and the living room is great. The room that houses my dragons, like my bedroom is a work in progress. It could be worse. I could still be looking at wall-to-wall boxes. There's something about having a place to call home. Knowing that when I leave work, I'm going to a place where comfort awaits. I feel so blessed--tired, but blessed. While my eyes are open, I'm going to lay pen to paper. Book four is screaming to be written, and I won't do it 'til three is done. Time to get this dog and pony show on the road.

Am I the only person who finds the end of a story difficult to write? I'm like this when I read too. I hate to reach the end because I'm losing my friends. What do you do to cure the end-of-story blues?

4 comments:

Ellen said...

Congratulations on getting settled!

I hate to come to the end of a good story too. I want to stop just before the end, after it's clear what the end will be, but when it's not quite resolved completely - that way I can imagine the "more." LOL.

Happy writing!

Elayne said...

Oh, Ellen, I swear we're twins separated at birth! I do the same thing. But then I can't leave the story unfinished, so I read it all and sink into the minor depression that follows. I think the only thing that keeps me from being seriously down is that I know I can always open the book again and see my "friends."

Tonight is a writing night, most definitely. I have crazy creative energy that needs out, so away I go!

Happy writing right back at ya!

Julie Kibler said...

I think that's why I prefer movies that are "slice of life," because you can keep thinking for days about the characters and what might be happening to them next. I saw In the Land of Women recently, and it was kind of like that.

It's hard for me to do an end, because life is just not like that. But, for the sake of tradition, we usually have to, I guess.

Your new house sounds wonderful, I'm so happy for you. Also on the job going so well!

Elayne said...

Thanks, Julie! Life is certainly interesting in Colorado. I've never seen that movie. Was it good? I love the movies and books that make you feel vested in the characters. Do you ever read your stuff and have that ah-ha moments with your characters? I will never forget the awesome compliment you paid me at the conference last year. You humbled me. Thank you for that. I am so looking forward to seeing what's going on with your writing.