19 May 2007

Fried, dyed, and laid to the side...

Yup, it's another title that bears no meaning to the text herein. So, if you thought you were in for something exciting, prepare to be disappointed. Possibly. Saturday is my day to chill out. Yeah, there's yard work and housework to do, but I try to sleep in and pretend none of it exists. My children had other plans for me. At six-thirty, the sun stretched its fingers under the blackout blinds, the neighbors' birds chirped a "good morning" song, and my youngest son dragged himself into my room to tell me calamity befell him as he tried to get out of bed.

How hard is it to jump from the bed to the floor? In all fairness, he sleeps on the top bunk, so his trip is a tad longer than mine, but that's what the ladder is for! Not for my baby. No, he had to try to flip from the top to the bottom bunk. He managed to get his leg caught on the way down (didn't know the air had arms) and struck his head on a bookshelf. I'm still confused about the logistics of it all, but I was tired. The good news is he's fine. His big brother was traumatized by seeing the drama unfold. I've learned to be less reactive, as I know that boy is a drama king. Everything about him is animated. He's mouthy as all get out, and loves to attention. We're still in a quandary as to how he came by these traits.

A few minutes later he was using one of his dad's canes to vault through the house and terrorize my eldest. Told you he was fine. It's just funny to watch them all together--especially when they've got their minds set on no good. I love how they stick together. The way they all don the blank stare when I ask who ate cherries in the bed and threw the pits on the floor. That's love. I hope they will always be that way, minus the seeds, because life is hard but so much better/easier when one proceeds with company. Sure, misery loves company, but I've never had a good time that didn't involve human contact in one way or another. Besides, if my boys don't stick together, who will believe their crazy mom stories?

On the writing front, I've cleaned up a lot of stuff and feel like I can finally move forward. Yea! I'm supposed to be writing right now, but here I am pretending the novel fairies will come out and do the ending while I sleep. The way those faeries have been slacking around the house, I don't know why I trust them. Oh well. Must get to work. My characters are calling...or is that the dinner dishes? Happy Saturday!

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I'm so glad your son is okay! I know what you mean about the "drama" - both of my kids seem to be overly dramatic. How nice that your boys stick together. NICE.

My son ran into a tree the other day while looking at his friends instead of where he was going. He might actually have a scar from that episode.

Happy writing! :)

Elayne said...

Is running into trees a rite of passage thing for boys? I hear that one a lot. I know my husband did that when he was about 11 or so. No scars from that one, so I hope your son is equally fortunate, Ellen. If nothing else, he will have a story to tell :)