25 May 2007

Not feeling so hot...

You ever have one of those days where you feel like an absolute failure? Nothing happened that made today terrible. In fact, it was blase. My problem is me. I am a perfectionist, and when I feel that I've deviated from perfect, it chips away at me. I am good at my job, though I am still learning so it feels like everything is an uphill climb. My customers love me, and the feeling is mutual. I adore my co-workers and can't tell you how much time we spend laughing and keeping each other motivated. On the drive home from work it dawned on me that being successful is more work than just doing a job. Success in my mind means that I top yesterday's achievements. What if I just can't? But see, can't isn't an option because too many people depend on me to perform. Too many people believe I can do anything I put my mind to. As empowering as it is to know that my family and friends respect me that much, it is also daunting. And exhausting.

So I was feeling pretty funky when I slumped through the door. Going shopping for jeans after work did nothing to make me feel better, but that's a blog for another day. Anyway, I logged into laptop central and checked my email. My eldest son's teacher responded to the note I sent her late last night. Big sigh. I will sum up as best I can how I came to be writing a late night email to my son's literature teacher.

To start, DH and I have VERY different political views, and we are equally passionate in these beliefs. Add to the mix that we're both first born and watch the drama explode! My eldest came home one day and told his dad that the teacher was reading a nasty book full of bad words in class. His words, not mine. He said the book made him feel uncomfortable. After probing, my son told my husband what bothered him was that there was a boy in a dress who claimed to have "two pee-pees." I have to say to my husband's credit, he researched the book before writing a letter to the teacher. The conclusion of the letter being that he would let our son decide the best course of action.

The next day, the teacher sent home a copy of the book so we could review it. I was excited because I wanted to see what all the drama was about. Because the book had to be returned by the end of the school year, I put aside my TBR pile and plunged in. It was an amazing read, and I am so glad I had the opportunity to read it.

Let's go back to the teacher. I wrote her a note, thanking her for allowing me to read the book and for promoting more thoughtful student interaction. Yes, the book was that good. She not only wrote me back, but CC'd the Dean and shared my letter. She said my thanks made her week. The Dean emailed me to tell me that parents don't often thank the teachers for the good they do, so she appreciated me taking the time to do so. I was shocked, and probably will be for awhile because it was the right thing to do. What kind of world do we live in that thank you, two simple words, can make someone's week?

So when I went back to thinking about being an abysmal failure because I'm not yet perfect, I had to shift gears. Maybe if I can manage to spread sunshine when I'm feeling nothing but storm clouds, life isn't so bad. By the way, in case you wanted to know, the name of the book was The Misfits by James Howe.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Good for both you and your husband for taking an interest in your sons learning - even if you approach matters differently. I looked up The Misfits, and it's probably something I'd like for my kids to read.

It's not always easy teaching literature, I imagine, because there's a whole "book-burning" mentality out there for important works that make people think, (because those require an open mind, which some people don't have). Although the book might be uncomfortable for your son, and he may choose not to read it (that was inspired of your husband, I think), it might reach other kids who feel like "misfits". And it's cool that the teacher is trying to educate parents too. :)

How wonderful that you took the time to write her a note, and that she appreciated it. People don't say "thank you" nearly enough these days. :)

Elayne said...

Ellen, if you find that book, it is so worth reading! My son did decide to read it and is loving it. The only thing that's upsetting him now is that they might not finish it by the time school lets out :) I am so grateful that my parents never censored my reading material.

Apparently, the teacher got a lot of flack for including the book in the course literature. This is a very religious area, so I can only imagine the fallout from the book. I say read something, and if you don't like it you never have to read it again. Worse case scenario, you gain a little more word power :)

I still have to read The Higher Power of Lucky. I bought it because of all the controversy stirred over the use of the word scrotum. We've worked hard to teach our kids about life, including sex and our limited knowledge of the human anatomy. I need to pull it out of the TBR pile and read it. Though technically, I'm still reading Stephen King's Lisey's Story. Like housework, the TBR pile never gets done...

Chris Peters said...

How neat that your son is reading it (and liking it). You handled it all so well. :) It's too bad that the teacher caught so much flack for the book.

My parents never censored our books either, and I'm very grateful. I think people who freak out over something benign, like the word scrotum, do so because they're afraid.

Good for you for teaching your kids what you can! My observation is that they learn of sex and their bodies anyway from outside sources, but in much luder terms. So being open with them about it demystifies it and reduces the likeliness that they'll want to sneak-discuss it. LOL. Like you, it seems, I believe that open communication with your kids prevents ignorance and heartache.