23 May 2007

The end!

I've been a busy little bee, friends. Tonight, after much toil and torment, I wrote the end of this book. I won't tell you that I skipped some bits. Nope, you won't hear that from me! It's not cheating, really, the end was ready to be written. It's violent and terrible, and perhaps even a bit shocking. I love it. My girl isn't displaying any of those behaviors girls of my time were taught--that whole demure grin and bear it nonsense. She's doing the one thing I think most of us have wanted to do at one time or another--paying back the one who's hurt us.

Maybe it's just me, but sometimes I do want to exact revenge on people who've taken the time out of their day to make my existence a living nightmare. That's such an unhealthy way to live, I know, which is why I don't indulge. My characters get to do it for me. Almost like that scene in The Man Who Knew Too Little starring Bill Murray. Anyone ever seen it? It's one of my favorites! Bill Murray's character is driving down a closed roadway, hitting the orange cones in such a way that they fly up in an arc before landing on the road again. He says he's always wanted to do it. The cops chasing him echo his sentiments. Granted my characters opted for violence rather than a fun bit of mischief. What does that say about me? Yikes!

2 comments:

Ellen said...

Congrats on writing the end!

I would love to exact revenge on people - provided it was like Star Trek's virtual room where when you step out, nobody's really hurt. LOL. Yes - I'm a softie, but there ARE people who deserve it. :)

Elayne said...

I know what you mean, Ellen. I wouldn't want to do permanent damage to anyone. I'm grateful that I haven't met too many people who deserve that kind of ugliness. People make mistakes and grow out of errant behavior and thinking with time (I hope). So I try to give people the benefit of the doubt. The character that got thrashed in my book deserved it. I promise. Plus it was cathartic for me :)