01 January 2007

Happy New Year!

At risk of being cliche, Happy New Year! We made it!

This year was different from the last few. Though I have to admit that time is beginning to blend so that it's difficult for me to distinguish one year from another. Last year, my house had more people in it. I had a job that wasn't my favorite, which meant that while I made more money, I wasn't entirely happy. I'm shallow enough for happiness to be a requisite for outside employment. The bottom line is, I'm going to die one day, and I'll be damned if I've purposely made myself miserable by doing what I know I don't want to do.

This year has been a great year in so many ways and in others more trying than I could have expected. But for now, I will focus on the positive. In 2006, I finished writing two books. The first was an exercise in starting and finishing a manuscript. And it shows all the signs of a first novel. Maybe one day I'll revisit that work and make it work. Maybe not. The second manuscript made me proud to say I am a writer. I started it while finishing my master's degree. Another wonderful accomplishment for 2006. I finished that degree with a 3.97. The only reason it wasn't a 4.0 was because I got an A- in a computer science course. Not bad for a mother of three who was working full-time.

2006 also saw the start of my third novel. It is a new avenue for me and prompted the start of this blog. My characters weren't exactly cooperative initially, but they've started working with me. I am so excited to see where they are going to take me this year. I have two more books on-stage as well. I took steps to scare myself--sending my work to agents and contests. From the former, I got a request for my entire manuscript. Would it be crass for me to repeat how stoked I am about that? I will learn about the results from one of the contests this month. I am nervous and excited to hear what objective people who know nothing of me and my writing have to say about my work.

Gosh...what else has happened this past year? So much good stuff that I know I can't remember and post it here. I travelled, met people I've known online for over a year, partied like it was 1999 and remembered every minute of it! In one of my travels, I was privileged to meet a couple of authors who so enjoyed my work that they worked to build bridges for me that I couldn't have done without their support. And they validated me--made me feel as though the time I spent writing wasn't wasted. A gift I will cherish always and hopefully have the opportunity to repay. I also met one of my favorite authors. She was gracious and just cool to spend time with. I am sure with all the fans she meets, I was one face among thousands; but the time she gave me is another of my cherished memories.

One of my fondest memories of 2006 is the time I spent with my family. This past week, we played, cooked, read, watched movies and just spent time together. We didn't buy masses of presents or have elaborate parties, but we enjoyed each other's company. As my children get older, these times will be less frequent. They will have their own lives and families one day. And maybe they won't want to hang out with their old mom, but this year--and our time together--is something I won't soon forget.

As you approach 2007, please dwell on the good and let go of the bad. I hope you all find more to remember with fondness about the past years and have much better in this one. Blessings, love and peace to you all. Happy New Year!

No comments: