14 January 2007

Clearing clutter...

Oh yes, dear reader. That's exactly what I did today. The DH and I have been planning to clean the garage since we moved here. Between work and sheer laziness, we left it. Now that I spend more time at home, I have more time to complain about things that have been left undone. Case in point, the garage. Now, before you get the notion that I'm a crazed bitch on the warpath, allow me to clarify the situation.

DH is a pack rat supreme. He's the type of guy that kept his high school jeans, just because. Me, on the other hand, well, I'm a clutter buster. I tend to feel crazy--crazier than usual--under mounds of crap. I'm a transient at heart, and need to feel that I can pull up and re-plant roots on a moments notice. I guess I shouldn't have fussed so much, seeing as we could park in the garage. Growing up, my parents couldn't park in theirs, so my ability to cope with his piles of random stuff is quite the coup for my dear husband. He should be grateful. None of us were all that grateful as we unpacked the boxes. All of us were in on the fun. We did it though. Mission accomplished. The garage is gorgeous, and now I won't have those pangs of guilt and embarrassment I always got from opening the door.

The only downside to all this clearing out is that I've netted myself mountains of laundry in the process. Did I mention most of the clothes are the hubby's? The man's wardrobe is three times the size of mine. I hate to shop, and the proof is in my closet. After all the work was done, I made dinner. We ate together, and later relaxed together while we finished the extended version of Return of the King. This is the first time I didn't cry while watching it. I think, to be honest, my brain was too tired to process the film. So what am I doing here, and why haven't I gone to bed? God only knows. I have writing to do, so I'll bid you all good night. What is the one room in your house you'd love to clear out? And what's stopping you?

No comments: