21 January 2007

A Family That Plays Together...

We're really big on family game night. Always have been, and hopefully always will be. I imagine they'll have to pry my Uno hand from my cold, dead fingers. At any rate, we played last night and we played tonight. Since last night's game was the funniest, we'll talk about that one.

First, I should say that I'm known for being the game master in our house. We usually play Lord of the Rings Monopoly, which is awesome by the way. I win, everyone else sulks and accuses me of dirty dealings. As if I couldn't win on merit alone. Ha! So we've switched to Uno so everyone else has a fighting chance. At first, the kids weren't that great at it--used no strategy whatsoever--and allowed their dad and me to cause devastation on the scoreboard. It only took a few hands for them to figure out that they didn't like having a new game to lose at, so they stepped up their game. My youngest has won nearly every game we've played since Christmas. What's that all about?

So I entered last night's game with nothing but winning on my mind. I had my customary three drinks at my side, and was ready to rock 'n roll. Each of us won a hand, though I racked up the least points, and the game got serious. Eight o'clock quickly became nine, and then ten. That was when the whining kicked up. No, it wasn't me! And yes, I was losing. "Please, mommy, please let us go to bed," they begged. "We don't want to play anymore." I laughed maniacally and told them no. I thought I had them on the rails, you see. Uno's like that. All I needed was one good hand. Besides, these are the kids who never want to go to bed. My little party animals have no problem running around for hours after bedtime.

When the whinging didn't work, they flew into dramatics. Where do they get this stuff? The middle man, bleary-eyed and desperate, threw himself onto the floor while I shuffled for the next hand, and pretended to sleep. Not to be outdone, the little man followed suit. My eldest sat there and enjoyed the show. I coaxed the kiddies to the table with the promise of coffee and dealt the next hand. They played half-heartedly, forgetting when it was their turn and all that nonsense. My eldest started making up silly songs, and my nerves, which were on edge--way too much caffeine at this point--frayed. DH began tugging at the remnants of his hair and vowed never to play with us again. Seeing him frazzled gave me renewed strength, so I joined with my eldest in his silly songs. That vein we all have, you know the one, it's the vein that tells people around us to back off as it throbs at the temple--well DH's looked ready to burst. Apparently he didn't like the silly songs.

At eleven, I conceded defeat. The little one did it again--blew me clean out of the water. For the first time in years, they all went to bed and didn't stir 'til morning. Had I known the powers of Uno before, I'd have used it to my advantage!

We enjoy our time together, and it never fails that one of these family moments will remind me of time past. My eldest used to sing himself to sleep as a baby. I always knew he was tired when he'd launch into a wordless song. Some things never change. He'll be twelve soon. He's goofy as all get out and stretching into whoever he will be as an adult. He gets on my nerves, and I know I get on his, but we love each other. I wouldn't trade one of his silly jokes, or the middle one's penchant for finding even my secret stash of candy, or the littlest's snappy attitude (which oddly reminds me of someone--can't think who) for anything in the world.

It is indeed a wonderful life...

No comments: