15 October 2007

Things a mom doesn't want to know

So by now you all know I have a pre-teen male child. I still remember changing this boy's diapers, for God sake. Well, dear friends, he ain't in diapers anymore. DH came down to my dungeon to tell me he'd just found my Vickie's Secrets catalogue safely ensconced in said male child's bed. It's no secret that my husband and I have different ideas about all sorts of things, human sexuality included. He was having fits about our son "using" my catalogue. I laughed. It's all about the cycle of life, isn't it? And as long as I don't end up a way-too-young grandma, I'm content to let him do what needs doing.

We talk about sex in my house. I can't say I enjoy broaching the subject with my boys, but the thought of babies making babies is so much less appealing. Looks like I get to have a talk with him about self-pleasure. Goody, goody gumdrops. Hints and/or suggestions from the crowd? I don't want to leave him scarred for life like I was.

As to the writing ... things have been too good to be true. The KIA Marathon over at RWAOL is in full swing, and because I can't let my team down I've been a writing fool. My characters are so grateful. But here's the thing. I've come to a place where the person I thought would be dead is looking like he might stay alive. These people have taken on a life of their own. Isn't that always the way? So now I'm here trying to figure out what in the world is going on. My goal at the end of the month is to have 20K words complete on this manuscript. That means I have 12,000 to go. 48 pages. I can do it. I'll keep you posted.

On other fronts, I just finished Susan Elizabeth Phillips' Ain't She Sweet. If you haven't read her, what in the world are you waiting for? This was such a beautiful story; I was heartbroken to see it end. Perhaps it was the Mississippi setting that got to me since I lived in Biloxi for a year. Certainly, her way of crafting multi-dimensional characters pulls you through the story. I felt as though I knew those people, and in some cases felt as though SEP had stolen my angsty teen diary. No wonder she's on the NYT Bestsellers list. Now, all I have to do is figure out why I loved that book so much and get my writing up to par. Small task that. Ri-i-ight!!!

What have you read lately that's made you take notice?

3 comments:

Delafantastika said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Delafantastika said...

OMG!
First of all, good luck with "the talk". I would personally be pissed off that he's using my catalogue. Tell the boy to order his own damned catalogue and leave your shit alone! :-)

Second, Awesome Awesome and I say again Awesome about your characters! Your characters always listen to you and never let you or your readers down, so if they want to live, let 'em live. Although I must say, you can murder with the best of them...whatever you choose, I'm sure it'll be fab! :-)

Elayne said...

I knew you'd have something good to say. DH expected me to be upset over the catalogue. You know how VS is -- you breathe in their direction and they send you a carton o' 'logues to entice you into buying their wares. I'm nervous about how he's going to take this aspect of "the talk" from me. I have the wrong equipment to handle these conversations! Guess who taught him how to pee standing up, too!? Though I don't know how much credit I should take for that seeing as none of the male children have mastered the art of hitting the pool of water in the porcelain throne. Ah well.

The characters are getting to be fun. I just turned someone who appeared the perfect gentleman into the perfect ass. He thinks he's rolling undercover, but what is done in the dark will come to light. I just really wanted to kill the other person. It's hard to do the right thing. [SIGH]