19 October 2007

Good times, rough reads

One of my nearest and dearest friends had exciting news this week. Kay, you know who you are!!! Her screenplay, one that I was dead lucky to read, was optioned! Yea!!! For those of you, who like me have minimal knowledge of the screenwriter's path, think of optioning as selling to an editor. This is big time, and I am so proud of her accomplishments and glad to skim the circle of greatness that surrounds her. Let me tell you though, this has been no easy road for her, nor is this the endpoint. She's worked diligently. Always writing, always producing, editing and doing the things someone who claims to be a writer must do. Have I mentioned how proud I am of her yet? I am looking forward to seeing great things for this lady, and you know I'll keep you posted on her success.

In Elayne's world, I'm still waiting to hear from the agent on my manuscript. I still have a week or so left before I should hear back, so I'm chilling for the moment. Tonight, I opened the suspense manuscript that was requested at the September conference. It needed more clean up and still does, but I made it through about 80 pages. Something that hit me in the midst of edits was how much I genuinely love this story. The characters are solid, and with touching up, I've made my heroine more transparent and relateable. My hero is still a hottie, and I heartily admit to being a little in lust with the guy. Isn't that the point, though? I've written dribbles on the current project -- don't know what else to say on that score.

All I know is I'm exhausted and sapped of creative juices. Tomorrow is supposed to be a fun day -- fall party with the old workmates. I adore them, so I know I will have a blast. But I'm so tired now I feel like an old lady. For the celebration, I made one of my infamous cheesecakes. Going with the fall theme, it's pumpkin gingerbread. It smells amazing, and I'm not too humble to admit it's one of the best looking cheesecakes I've made in a little while. Hopefully, everyone enjoys it. Okay, I'm pushing against stone here. I'm going to take my butt to bed, but not before sharing about my recent reading experiences.

I just finished a book by a local author that I'm hedging about. The premise was interesting. Sorry, I won't share the concept or title here, but you can ask me in person if you're that curious. What bugs me about the book is the bland writing. In fiction, I expect more interesting prose and imagery. I want to read something that sticks to me like the drippy caramel from a freshly dipped caramel apple. That's not the case here, and I am so disappointed. On one hand, I celebrate the author's ability to garner the attention of an agent and editor -- to get her work on the shelves. On the other hand, I wonder what it is that the experts saw in the book. A title does not a book make, and after all, the publishing house probably changed the title anyway. But I can say this in all certainty, I've never seen the subject matter therein presented in contemporary material as it was in this work.

Maybe I'm jaded because I'm looking through romance eyes. That happens more often than I care to admit, my being biased because I've been steeped in one genre before leaping to another. I will have to re-read and re-evaluate. I am currently reading a paranormal romance. Again, a local author, and again a bit disappointing. The words/world/concept seem too closely related to so many others I've read before. In this author's defense, I really like the characters. So much so that if I LOVE the ending, I will read the rest of the series. All this weighs on my mind. How can I like one book so much that I'm willing to invest more of my time when the other made me wonder who I could pawn it off on?

I guess it all boils down to characterization. The characters in the first book I mentioned were AWFUL. I hated all of them and had the most terrible time trying to figure out who to cheer for or align my support with. They were all pretty wicked except for the one who ended up dead, and she wasn't stellar but I could at least understand her behavior. I don't think a re-read will change my perception of that, but I'll give it a few months and give it another go. Have you ever read or watched something that left you feeling empty at the end? How did you handle the disappointment?

3 comments:

Julie Kibler said...

Wow, isn't Kay the friend you were with at LJWC last year? How exciting! Congrats, Kay!!!

Yeah, some books I read and think, "Ok, if I ever actually finish writing a manuscript, I do have a snowball's chance in hell, considering this blunder."

Others, I read and want to commit writer suicide. (In the figurative sense ... never fear!)

Delafantastika said...

Thanks, Julie! I'm still stoked!

And I'm right there with you on the disappointment- whenever I watch an absolute CRAP movie, I wonder who the writer/director has in their back pocket? But like you said, kudos to the them for making it happen. It also gives me faith that there's an audience for everyone.

Elayne said...

Julie, I think the same way. But then I must be doing something wrong -- even if it's as small as not selling myself properly (which we know is no small thing) -- to keep missing the cut. I figure I'll keep writing. Every time I read about a new author getting published, I look to see how many years and manuscripts preceeded their success. Those who are absolutely willing to stick with it and hone their skill are the ones who move forward. And we all know, a quitter will never win.

Kay's work is amazing, and I am SO glad it is starting to happen for her!!! We'll all be able to say, "I knew her when..."