07 October 2007

Homecoming revealed

I went on so much about Homecoming yesterday, and totally forgot to share what happened. My college buddy and I went to the game a little late because I had some minor drama at home. Drama in my house takes only a few forms and centers around either my husband or the boys. I guess on more fun occasions, all of them gang up on me to drive me to crazy town. With as much time as I spend there, I've got frequent visitor rights. But I digress. No, I'll share the drama because it's all a part of the story.

My eldest has decided to skirt his chores. Nothing major or abnormal for an almost teenager. By the way, I got told today that I am hip for being a mom. Dude! How cool is that? Anyway, I was having folks over Friday, and while the house wasn't a mess, there was definite work that needed done if I was going to have company. I arrived home at six to find that my kitchen was wrecked -- dishes piled, the floors a rubbish heap, and the trash overflowing. My eldest tried to run the "I love you, Mom" scam on me. Complete with hug. Unfortunately for him, I wasn't wearing my BooBoo the Fool sticker. So while I appreciated his love, he was going to do the cleaning he'd skipped out on.

I had him start on the dishes while I changed into my cleaning clothes. You know the ones that are only good for working with bleach and NEVER for being worn in public. Oh yeah, I was a real hottie Friday night. I had just slipped into my gear when I heard my husband shout that grandpa was at the door so my son had to leave. I ran out of my room screaming that he shouldn't be rewarded for sneakiness by getting to leave for the Homecoming game early. My husband told me not to worry. Our son would come home and do all his chores. Right. After I was done doing all the work. Not a huge surprise that I was pretty pissed.

I started working and then my youngest came out of his room sans glasses. Of course, I asked where they were and he told me he'd lost them at recess. I just bought those glasses. When I asked my husband why he hadn't told me about the missing glasses, he said he hadn't noticed. I've got one word for you. RAGE! His concession was to send the little one out to the school to find them. Somewhere in the midst of all this chaos, my friend arrived. I'm so sorry, Patricia!

Fast forward to the game. Yes, more family drama ensued, but I'm going to leave it in the past where it belongs. My friend found us seats, and I was stoked about being able to watch the game and one of the hottest football coaches I've ever seen. Hey, before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I'm married, not dead! And until my eyes stop working, I will appreciate beauty in all its many forms -- especially if it involves said coach. I need to freeze frame here to make sure the rest of this little tirade makes sense. Sorry, folks.

My friend and I went to a high school football game a while ago with another good buddy. After that game, I developed a reputation for being rowdy. I honestly have no clue how that all got started. Jeez, you get a little participative at a game and next thing you know, you're castigated for getting into the game. No fights broke out, and we all had a good time so nothing else matters.

So, back to this past Homecoming. My friend and I had great seats -- until we got kicked out of them. Lest you get too excited or think I am exciting, we didn't do anything outrageous to lose our seats. All the empty spots we found had been reserved for the band. Shucks. It was a blow-out for our school at any rate, so we retreated to my place for chili and the first season of Coupling. After all the day's drama, chilling out was just what I needed.

Now that it's nearly at an end, what did you do this weekend?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"My eldest tried to run the "I love you, Mom" scam on me. Complete with hug. Unfortunately for him, I wasn't wearing my BooBoo the Fool sticker."

LOL!! I seriously love the way you talk/think. I had a GREAT time this weekend!

Elayne said...

You are so sweet! I'm glad you had a great weekend, too!!! Hope this week is fantastic for you :)

Ellen said...

Kids and chores...*sigh* Mine did great over the summer - consulted the chore chart daily and pretty much never argued about it. Once school started, things fell apart. It's harder when they're in school all day, then have to do sports and homework afterward, but I need to get tougher on them again.

Sounds like you had a great time at the game! Things like that can be so fun. :)

My weekend was 2 solid days of homework. I'm pretty much back on track now though after a couple of tough weeks.

Elayne said...

Yea, Ellen!!! Sucks about the days of homework, but it is life as a hot college chick ;)I am in the homework way as well. Keep your sites on that end goal!