15 March 2007

Here I go Again...

In my last blog I said I'd be writing from my home on wheels. Not quite. Though my vehicular paradise does have Internet (wireless, thank God), I decided to hang out at the library. My new home is nestled in the Rockies, overlooked by Pikes Peak. Ten guesses as to where I've relocated... At any rate, it is more beautiful than I believed possible. Adventure and fun are really around each corner. And the libraries are FAB!!! Every time we pass a library in one of our jaunts, I want to stop and have a look. The DH is smart and rolls his eyes, but says nothing. In my mind, it's a win-win situation for him, especially since he doesn't have to pay for a new parcel of books.

In the meantime, I am still writing. Granted, the move made that a LOT slower, but I can taste the end. Right now, I'm fantasizing about the edits. When it comes to the overhaul, though, I'm sure I'll be doing more cursing than smiling. Honestly, most of the book is good. I just have some holes I need to plug. Just like the little Dutch Boy. When I'm not writing or cruising the library circuit, I am seriously job hunting.

I've done the job search before. When one moves as much as I have, it becomes almost a recreational activity. Maybe it's because I'm older now or because I'm finally calling one place home, but the search is WORK! I know why it's called job hunting. First, you determine your prey. Then you learn everything you can about the target, and the chase begins. For a moment, you stalk after it--noting the idiosyncrasies missed in the initial research. Finally, the interview. You and your prey lock eyes, and for a brief moment come to an understanding. So you shoot. Maybe you miss, maybe you hit dead on. But you get one chance to do it right, or you'll be forced to repeat the process.

Obviously, I'm not a hunter, but the analogy seemed to click for me in a new way as I scoped out the place I was interviewing with yesterday. I will be glad to be finished with this process so I can move into the next adventure. At least that's what I'm thinking now. By next year, all of this will be a blip of time in my life. I just keep reminding myself of this when my entourage starts bickering, or the toilet stops working, or the laundromat's closed. The list goes on. One thing I've been thrilled to see is that the love in our little six-wheeled paradise flows strong. We still play together and take care of each other. Nothing like a stint in a confined space to show you what's real and what's fiction.

No comments: