29 March 2007

Who put the day on fast forward???

I woke up this morning. That much I remember. I'm in bed now, typing away at laptop central. Pretty sure of that too. The rest of the day is a blur. One minute I was cruising a thrift store and sucking down Jamba Juice's new All Fruit Pomegranate smoothie. Yum-o, by the way! The next, I was cruising between dryers at the laundromat and folding clothes. How did it all happen? What did I actually do? Maybe the body snatchers finally laid claim to the time I owe them. All I know is that I'm dead dog tired and feeling like a wimp. Used to be I could stay up all hours of the night, writing on my manuscript while my coffee IV kept me humming. Now, I'm begging my body for one more hour, just like a child trying to get a bedtime extension. So I want to know. Who put fresh batteries in the remote and left the forward frame button mashed in?

Only a couple days before I head to Denver on life adventure #5693. Nah, I don't really have them numbered, but it sounded fun. Would that number make me boring or exciting? Denver means packing, which means I have to empty my garment bag of undies (you didn't think I was kidding all those days ago, did you?) and fill it with business attire. Sayonara jeans, hello slacks and skirts...and pantyhose. I can't wait! I've been feeling entirely too casual lately, so it's time to shake things up. My aim is to be really rebellious and run in the mornings before training. Guess that means I get to keep the Pullman of shoes.

Sunday, we are going to the FIL's house for Easter dinner. I know it's not Easter yet, but this is one of the byproducts of divorce--split holidays. He loves to cook. The kids have a blast. This will be the first time I've seen all the grandkids at his house. Should be interesting. Usually we're all at my MIL's house. I'm sure my step-MIL will keep everyone in line. They are typical grandparents. We wash up before and after meals, we use proper table manners and we walk in the house. Meanwhile, grandma and grandpa sneak the kids cookies and sodas, but that's what grandparents are for. I've heard reports that my kids have told the GP's that they shouldn't have any sweets before eating their veggies. I still beam with pride. If nothing else, I've taught my kids the value of green.

Sunday could be heaven or hell. Nine grandkids and three Scottie dogs could put a hitch in the normal order. Is it wrong that I'm enjoying an internal giggle over this? I know after I hang out with my little entourage and my nephews and nieces, I am wiped out. Mostly, I've learned to tune them all out. If no one's bleeding, crying or dying, everything's fine. And if all else fails, I can make an escape.

9 comments:

Ellen said...

LOL! I wonder if the body snatchers do take us for awhile. I've had days like that too - it's scary! :)

You sound so ambitious (and healthy) - good luck squeezing in time to run!

And have a great time at your FIL's. It'll probably be a bit chaotic, but fun. :)

Elayne said...

Ambition will be my death! Can't help it though; I'm wired that way. As to the running...it's a must do. Almost a penance for all the bad stuff I put my body through. Ten minutes upright on a treadmill equals one glass of wine, right? Really, it's the candy I've indulged in lately. WAY TOO MUCH of a naughty thing. I'm detoxing now. No crap allowed for a week and lots of water and black coffee (both, the drinks of champions). My body revolts of I am not active for long stretches of time, so on top of self-healing, I'm trying to get my brain to function properly.

We'll have a good time at my FIL's house. If nothing else, it will be a heck of a memory. All I know is that meat will be involved and I don't need to bring anything. I was dumb enough to ask what time the festivities will commence to receive "after church" as an answer from DH. Ask a silly question... After church is anywhere from 12 to 5 in my mind. FIL goes to bed VERY early, so 5 is pushing it. I hate not knowing. Impatience is one of my worst qualities. Always had to know my kids' sex, sneak to figure out Christmas and birthday gifts, yeah, I'm nothin' but trouble. Plus, I plan everything--except my books. There, I revel in the freedom of blissful ignorance.

I've been up for awhile now and am totally convinced someone else has been using my body. It can't seem to choose between alertness and fatigue. Can one be both? Whoever it is will have to sit on the sidelines if they're wanting another turn, 'cause I'm going to get a pedicure today. Haven't had a professional one since I lived in Spokane, so I am well past overdue :)

Ellen said...

I looked at treadmills the other day, and of course the one I wanted was the priciest (all the bells and whistles and auto-fold, etc.). I'd love one though (especially to work off the garbage I eat!). Good for you for being good. :)

It drives me nuts not knowing times too. Or my husband will say, "we can set out to find a restaurant and stop when one looks good." ARGH! We end up driving around for hours and nothing works out. Sometimes, a freaking plan is needed.

A pedicure is something I could use too! Those puppies down there are looking pretty ragged. I could do it myself, but where's the fun in that? LOL. Is there somewhere in Spokane you recommend? I've gone to a place on Indian Trail a couple of times but the ladies are a bit...scary. :)

Elayne said...

When I did that kind of stuff in Spokane, I just went to WalMart. I didn't venture out too much because I was trying to avoid the scary places :) Every time I go into one of those places I wonder what kind of fungus I'll walk out with. So far, so good though. I wish I knew someplace really fun to go. Hawaii was much easier in that regard, but I don't think you want to go that far to get your tootsies pampered.

Ellen said...

Walmart does pedicures? I've been there a couple of times lately returning books I double-ordered (I think I'm too young for senility, but...). Anyway, I've never noticed anything besides McDonalds, a pharmacy, and an optometrist in there. Hmm....

Elayne said...

Yep, Ellen, cross my heart, I got a mani/pedi right at the WalMart on Sullivan. The one over by Toys R Us. Sorry, I'm a landmark person :) It was a little family owned business, and the people were great! I used to be able to walk down there from my apartment.

Julie Kibler said...

Enjoying reading your blog, I've added it to my links. Good luck with job hunting and such. Sounds like it's been an exciting couple of months, to say the least.

Julie Kibler said...

Oh, oops...I was thinking you were still looking, so congrats instead! :)

Anonymous said...

You write very well.