26 March 2007

Slaying time...

More like wasting time. I've been playing the good auntie for the past few days. It was fun, but I forgot how exhausting it can be to hang out with kids who aren't mine. The kids were all great, but I am so boring that I wonder how my own children survive with me. We don't watch much TV during the week--Spring Break or no. I don't let them play video games for more than an hour, and that's only once every couple of months. So what do we do? We read, play outside or just hang out. In between we have meals where we again, sit together and share our day's events. See, not much happening. I was so looking forward to sleeping in today. My body and mind are exhausted from being chipper and hopeful.

It would be so easy to just be a pessimist. No energy to expend that way. Being positive is exercise. I will myself to see the silver lining on each cloud. I write when it would be easier to pretend I'd never heard of my characters. And constantly, I wear a smile for my babies because they deserve a smooth, drama free time. They didn't ask to be born, and I refuse to make their lives hell on earth. Tonight, I am going to spend some real time with my family. Who knows what we'll get up to, but it will be interesting.

Later, my characters and I will have a meeting of the minds. I've written myself into a neat little corner. I made one of my characters cry and can't remember why I did it. That's what I get for stopping in the middle of a scene. I re-read choice bits of the story this afternoon to reacquaint myself with the characters and the action. I like these people. If only I could remember why I made Katt cry.

Okay, the movie's on--Clue. Cult classic and one of my all time faves. This is what I'll call beta viewing. Catch you tomorrow folks. Same bat time, same bat channel.

2 comments:

Ellen said...

LOL! It sounds like you just need some time with you and your story - uninterrupted. You'll figure out why you made your character cry and all will be good. :) It can be exhausting with other peoples' kids, even if you like them. :) My own are challenge enough, and I adore them. LOL.

I love your positive life outlook.

Elayne said...

Thanks, Ellen! I'm working my butt off to be positive. Oh, if only that were true. I think I need to reconnect with what's real--aka go outside for some exercise. I've let my eating get out of control, so it's time to get in shape. Now, all I have to do is figure out how to leave the family behind so I can do it.

All I know is kids are amazing! I don't know how they do what they do with such singlemindedness. And I'm pretty sure I wasn't nearly so ambitious when I was little, LOL. I'm sure my mother would say otherwise.