11 November 2006

Sunny Side Up

Today has been a more productive writing day. Usually, it doesn't take more than two chapters for me to relate to my characters. This book has been more of a challenge for me. I am still interested in their stories. I want to know them, but unlike my usual playmates who prefer to scream to be heard, the newbies are content to whisper. Call me a freak, but I like the screamers. The bottom line is that the whisperers are teaching me a lesson. I've had to learn to shut up and play nice if I want them to join me on the swings. So it took me six chapters to recognize this--at least I learned. Don't I get a cookie or something?

Other than writing, I've done gobs of reading. Real writers read--period. So what's on the list today? The last of the Lynsay Sands Argeneau series--at least what's out right now. She's as funny as all get out. I've laughed until my stomach seized and tears rolled down my face. The love stories are sweet and I want to be them. But alas, I sit at laptop central, typing away. After I finish LS's book, there's a Harlequin Intrigue waiting in the wings. And Steven King and JD Robb sprinkled with a touch of Janet Evanovich for a bit of a giggle, and I can't forget the classics. Lately, I've been feeling the call of Dumas, Shakespeare and Poe. Would that I had more eyes and an extra brain to process it all. My TBR pile is out of control, but I can't stop buying books. At least I'm saving a few dollars by hitting the used bookstore. My grand total for the week is just shy of $100. Perhaps my time would be better spent at book readers anonymous.

Every now and again, it hits me that I'll be teaching my first class soon. Orientation is next month and I have to RSVP next week. My syllabus is due next month too. Guess it would be a good idea to get the text book. I am so excited to have the opportunity to give back a small part of what's been given me. Hopefully, my students feel that time spent with me was worthwhile. I am already nervous about the first night and it's not 'til the new year. I'm sure I'll be blogging more about this as the time draws nearer, but it's playing on my mind right now. Just another reason to finish my manuscript.

What are you just dying to read? Is your TBR pile overflowing too? Please tell me I'm not the only rabid reader out there.

No comments: