06 November 2006

Guess what I did...

Last night the newest episode of Dexter aired. I have to admit though I knew his identity/issue would remain a secret, the writers had me on pins and needles as the drama unfolded. Why is all the good TV on cable? I remember when TV was a family recreation--maybe some of that's due to where I grew up--in the middle of nowhere. I used to swear that all the channels were PBS back then. I cut my teeth on Sesame Street, Mister Rogers' Neighborhood and The Bloodhound Gang.

Sesame Street is still a show I'll turn to when I need a slice of comfort or nostalgia; and to this day, I absolutely believe Mr. Rogers spoke to me when he stepped through his door with his sunny greeting and zippered cardigan.
Everybody understands a guilty pleasure--chocolate, junk food, karaoke on a Friday night--but how do you explain holding onto a show you watched as an infant when your 20's are such a distant memory that they're fuzzy? Two options: don't broach the subject, or construct a treatise on the merits of quality public television. Sadly, most of the time, I opt for the former rather than the latter.

Really, watching those shows reminds me of a time when my Dad was my hero and right there when I needed him instead of existing merely in photos and my ever-depleting memory. They remind me of my fleeting moments of innocence--and trust me, in comparison to the journey through adulthood, childhood occurs in the space of a breath. Sometimes I yearn for the time when I was oblivious to the various ways we create to hurt each other, when my sole life objective was to have fun--and that was okay. Does that mean I want to go back and relive it? Hell no! Once was plenty, but that won't stop me from singing loud and strong for someone to come and play today. Seems like the best memories are bittersweet.


Life goes on. The alarm clock just buzzed, so it's time to wrest the kids from bed for school... Today feels like a Sesame Street day....

No comments: