12 December 2006

Rainbows and butterflies...

Today was a pretty good day. I'm tired, though not sure why, but it was a dog-gone good day. What made it so good? Let's start with first things first. I woke up! I had clothes to wear and food to eat and a warm home to ramble through at my leisure. I made a lot of progress on my writing commitments, half my Christmas cards are written and addressed and I scrubbed my stove! I feel alive today. I got another rejection letter, but such is the writer's life.

One of my neighbors came over this afternoon. I have to admit, I was looking house appendage chic--gray t-shirt and matching shorts, uncombed hair and a giant smile. He brought his son over to see if my youngest could come play. Because I live in close proximity to my neighbors, I tend to worry when someone comes to my door. Were the kids too loud? Did they throw a ball in someone else's yard? So to hear him rave about my son--especially this one, who is most like me--cantankerous, mischievous--really brightened my day.

Unfortunately for my little boy, I had to decline the invite because I don't allow play dates in the middle of the school week, but I promised that the weekends are fair game. Maybe I'm stupid for reveling in such a minor exchange, but for some unexplainable reason, my spirits lifted. I took a shower, did my hair and makeup and braved the grocery store. I am not the typical female from what I hear--can't stand shopping. If you want to see me have a breakdown, just take me to a mall and force me to meander from one store to another. God, I can feel the palpitations coming on! Even the store didn't daunt me today. My youngest and I did our customary laps through the aisles and then came back home. I ran into people I know from karate and was the engaging person I used to be. Granted, I didn't get totally perky and wear pink or anything--dressed in black from head to toe--but I smiled a bright, red lipsticked smile and looked like the type of person that people want to be around.

Yesterday was karate, which is always a ball of entertainment--at least when the adult class gets together. Somehow, the conversation always ends up in the realm of sex. I'd be lying if I said I didn't know how these things start--it's me, but we'll just pretend I didn't say that. Anyway, it all boiled down to jello wrestling, the rabbit and girls gone wild. What in all that's holy does this have to do with karate? Not a damn thing, but it was entertaining. Karate is about strengthening mind and body, but for me, it also encompasses the relationships developed between the wonderful folks I train with. I really can't imagine not spending time with these people on a weekly basis. Invariably, I will laugh, learn and be dead tired from all the drama afterward. Jeez, I don't know what I'm going to do when the night extends into include my classes! One day at a time...

By the way, if you were wondering why rainbows and butterflies, there's no reason. They just remind me of happy thoughts. Keep on truckin'

No comments: