31 December 2006

Countdown...

So the New Year is approaching... I hate knowing that I should be writing my resolutions because I haven't yet, and I feel I've fallen behind by avoiding that whole mess. I know I am going to finish the book I'm currently writing and a new book. My plan is to submit to contests and agents like crazy. Agents only if I don't get a thumbs up from the one who has my ms. That whole topic brings me to the drama tugging at my psyche.

What if the agent sends the ms back and says it absolutely sucks? The possibility is oh-so-real. He could easily say my book was a disappointment, or didn't keep his interest, or had way too much foul language. As all writing/reading is a personal experience, any of those responses would be valid. I don't think the book is a disappointment. The ending is happy, and I get chills when I think of how my heroine's life works out. Maybe the language is strong. I don't usually swear. Cross my heart. You wouldn't know that from reading this blog, I know, but in the majority of my conversations, I really don't use any naughty language. Once the sun goes down and my kids are in bed, sometimes my language goes the way of the sailor. A sprinkling of the f-word. A damn here and again, but nothing major. But if my use of the no-no words turns him (the agent) off or seems gratuitous, he has the right to say no. I won't be angry, but I have to admit that I will be disappointed.

My DH says I'm pessimistic about my talents--that I don't see myself for who I really am. So maybe part of my resolution should be to try to see myself as others see me. I am a wife, a mother, a writer, a teacher and I will be successful. Whatever I put my mind to, I accomplish, so as far as publication goes, I know it's a matter of time. See, I'm not a pessimist. I also must lose the twenty pounds I found during 2006. The extra weight is making me crazy. Like the rest, it will happen. 2007 will be a year of good things. I feel it.

So what are your goals this year?

No comments: