16 December 2006

Holiday musicals...

Today, one and two of three had school performances. The school issued notes to encourage (coerce) parents to attend. I try not to miss anything my kids do, so of course I was there. Early, so I could get parking. The school was built in a time when I guess maybe they didn't expect much by way of parental participation, but after last year's experience I made sure I wasn't going to have to park in the North Forty and schlep my way through rocks, snow and whatever else. Mind you, there was nothing I could do about the 50 knot winds that ripped across the flooded parking lot. I still don't know what that was about, but I digress.

The kiddies improved this year. The band and orchestra played songs I recognized and the fourth graders rocked their little hearts out. Yep, I was one of those dopey moms wearing a grin from ear to ear while the little people did their thing. What got me though, was that these kids actually sang/played Christmas songs. I grew up in a time when Christmas songs began to morph into holiday songs in order to acknowledge the large segment of our society comprised of different faiths and traditions. Maybe it has a bit to do with where I grew up as well. My current home is in the center of traditionalist 1950's values--where beef really is what's for dinner, and God help you if you expect to have anything other than a potato alongside.

Why I'm realizing all this now, I don't know. But what a wake up call, and all because I went to my kids' performance. Monday is kiddie show, part deux, which I'm sure will be equally interesting as it will be done by the ultra little people. But first, I'll have to survive the weekend. My darling husband's office Christmas party is Sunday--at a steakhouse. After some of the downright revolting steaks I've had here, I'm beyond nervous. We're doing an ornament exchange as well. The wicked part of me wanted to bring an obscene ornament. I'm mean it's all anonymous after all. DH vetoed that one pretty quick, so I'll have to buy something respectable. Shucks...

No comments: