14 July 2007

Death stinks

Just got back from a funeral. God, I wish people didn't have to die. The older I get the worse it is. My husband's uncle and his great aunt died this week. Today was his uncle's farewell, and next week will be his aunt's. His uncle was too young; his kids were too young to have to go through it too. I sat there, watching them cry and it reminded me of my dad's death. I felt too young to have to do everything--to plan a funeral and handle all the stuff that goes with death. I didn't cry when my dad died because there wasn't time for tears. I couldn't afford a meltdown. So today I cried for them as much as for myself. I know time is supposed to heal all hurts, but honestly all it does is cover them in more stuff so the pain isn't so sharp.

To Terry. A man I wish I'd been able to know better. Happy trails... until we meet again.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

I'm SO sorry. :(

There's never a good time or place in life to lose a loved one, so you just have to move through the grief in the way that's best for you.

And I do believe we meet again, like the Wordsworth poem where he talks of birth: "Trailing clouds of glory do we come from God who is our home." I believe that with death we return home.

(((HUGS)))

Julie Kibler said...

Wow, two funerals in one week. That's gotta be rough. I'm sorry for your loss and for the sadness this brought back up in you. I hope you will have some time to truly grieve and heal this time around, and I will be definitely be thinking of you.

Elayne said...

Thank you both so much. It was hard and brought back so many memories of my Dad's death. I'm much better now and out of hiding. I had to step back from the blog a bit, lest I spew the mire in my heart. I really appreciate all your kind words!