28 June 2007

Backpack, backpack

Have I lost my mind? Of course not, dear friends! Tonight was my first night back in school. Nope, one master's degree wasn't enough. Your nearest and dearest author-desperately-seeking-publication (okay, one of your nearest and dearest) is on the road to a master's in education--secondary to be specific. No snickering allowed. I love the classroom! And I'm a damn good teacher, too. The only thing I lack is certification, so off I go!

It's been a long time since I've sat at a desk, next to my peers, listening to lecture while fighting to stay awake. None of the activity is boring. Quite the contrary. Tonight, I've discovered what the hero for my next book looks like. He sits across from me with hair so dark it's almost black and eyes like the ocean as it rolls into Haunauma Bay.

For those of you with more delicate sensibilities, you may want to avoid the next sentence or two. The next book opens with violence. Well, partial nudity and violence. But, dear friends, that little instance of violence is the flash introduction of our hero and heroine. [We now return to our scheduled programming]

Right now, she is a healthy-sized girl (woman)., one with curves who isn't exactly trying to lose them. He is dreamy, and not the type she'd expect to find even remotely attracted to her. All I'll say for now is HOT. And yes, it was imperative that it be in all caps. I'm back to a multi-cultural cast, unlike my last book. And the characters will have to overcome their differences to make what's fantasy oh-so-real. Yeah, somewhere in there, there will be a crime or life-threatening situation they must battle as well, but I haven't worked that out as of yet. I will have to keep you posted.

Should I be mildly embarrassed that I wrote this blog in the middle of lecture this evening? I'm not in the least, I assure you. My fellow classmates watched me scribe furiously, probably thinking I'm some sort of overachiever. If only they knew. What do you get up to when people around you think you're working?

4 comments:

Julie Kibler said...

Congratulations on going back to school! I loved it when I was working on my master's. Well, it was a love/hate thing, but you know.

New WIP sounds intriguing!

What do I get up to when people around me think I'm working?

Why, I'm reading your blog or one of my other faves! ;-)

Ellen said...

Congrats on taking the next step so you can teach! Woohoo!

I start my masters in a couple of months too. We can suffer through it together. I freaking love the academic world! LOL.

Mostly I'm visiting blogs when I should be working. :)

Elayne said...

I don't think traveling the blogosphere is naughty...It's beta thinking, the stuff you must do to produce in those aspects of life where production is imperative :)

Thanks, ladies, for your support. I'm glad it's not my first time back. I finished my MS last year, so my scholarly brain hasn't had time to atrophy. The thing that scares me is my writing changes when I spend too much time writing academically. Is that stupid?

I wish I could say homework has kept me away, but I've spent my time working overtime. Guess I should wave to friends and family who haven't heard from me in weeks.

I am excited about the new WIP. The trick will be creating the time to write it. I really shouldn't be doing that in the middle of class. What happens if the instructor decides to peer over my shoulder while I'm scribbling away? Do they still make you read notes aloud, or God forbid read them aloud themselves?

Anonymous said...

Rock on with the school thing! And your heroine sounds really interesting. Good luck!!