07 May 2011

I'm ba-a-a-ack!

Almost a year since the last post. Good grief! I can't even call myself an intermittent blogger. My book is really taking shape, and though they scare the devil out of me, I love where the characters are taking me.

Last weekend was a big writer's conference, and I was extremely fortunate to have been in attendance. I didn't pitch anything because my work in progress is just that. For the first time, I participated in a read and critique by an agent. I didn't end up with this agent as the work of random chance. I've followed this woman's career for YEARS and watched it and her agency grow. For this read and critique, participants were allowed to submit the first page, which should have been no more than 16 lines.

I was nervous about that limit. Would the agent have enough time to get a sense of my protagonist? Would those few lines set the stage adequately for the rest of the novel? And why, oh why couldn't I have a full page? The third question was answered for me when I sat in on some R&C's in a previous workshop. The editor hosting that one was was tough, and her insight into the industry made me even more nervous. She told us she knew whether or not to buy a book based on the first page. I'd heard the first line bit before, but that was always couched in writerly encouragement along the lines of making every sentence count. Everything with pores on my body began to sweat. I wasn't sure I was ready.

Let's be honest. Sending a query to an agent or editor is daunting, but there's a distance that makes the entire process bearable -- even the rejection piece. Standing in front of either an agent or editor and in front of a group of writers who also know the rules, is plain butt-clenching. I was the second reader up in my group. I read my log line (which I'd made hours before) and launched into my first page. I got laughs! The agent said my work was good and fit within the scope of the genre. I started with action. Her praise went on, and I felt more nervous. I will query her with the finished project.

Conferences are awesome. Creativity ignites, and the writer in me loves to be surrounded by others who hear voices! Now, it's time for me to get busy about the work of writing. I've got more ideas about how to help myself be more productive, and I'm putting them in play. Write on, writers!

What's the best take-away you've ever gotten from a conference?

1 comment:

delafantastika said...

I received my mentor from a writing conference. On another note, I miss talking to you. :-(