13 May 2011

Learning Curve

No work today meant I could take care of a few things needing some TLC in my happy world. I touched my characters and they touched me back. Today, my protagonist and I had a heart-to-heart while I allowed a gentle breeze to play over my skin as I absorbed the sun's rays. It truly was a beautiful day in my neighborhood. I swear, I could almost hear her talking to me. The good news is she isn't entirely upset with me about what she's about to experience. Bless her, she's a fighter!

Strangely enough, my quiet gave my protagonist a chance to assess her life. And you know what she discovered? She ain't half bad. We kind of played "Do you remember?" ala Claire Huxtable. Remember how she would ask Clif that very question, and he knew he was in trouble? Not so with my heroine. She laughed at how foolishly her insecurities prompted her to behave. Granted, she's not out of the woods, but today she felt strong.

The characters beckon. As I return to their world, I'd like to think I'm not the only writer who's learned something from a cast of fictional friends. What's something your characters have taught you?

No comments: